Monday, October 6, 2014

deconstructed circle collaboration


Thank you Zamorano! I used Mr. Masse's art lesson as the kick off lesson for my eighth grade. All of my middle school lessons at the start of the year were connected to the Van Gogh quote, "Great things are done by lots of small things brought together." This fit perfectly! 

Students designed a 9" circle using with oil pastel and watercolor resist. 
They were pretty good sports about cutting their nice circles up, and were really pleased with the end result. I'm going to have 7th grade do a series of circles to build off of these. 






My introductory images included:

Advising the student's to look up Talavera tile designs on their ipads, 

 Maritza Soto's quilts 


this lighthouse quilt 


and this nice example of radial symmetry 
to trigger the student's memories of the radial designs they did last year.
At the end of last year, these students made work inspired by Indian Rangoli street painting. I put them on the wall at the art show. There are tons of fun videos of the chalk painting tradition on youtube and it's a great example of empowerment for women through art. 





2 comments:

  1. They look awesome! I love the use of the wc and oil pastel resist. Can't wait to see it get even bigger:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous creations! I'm tucking away this idea for when I return to the classroom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete