Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Farmland landscapes using perspective



I did this lesson with seventh graders, most of who have not learned anything about perspective drawing. This was a wonderful introduction to perspective drawing & landscapes. I would recommend it for 5th-7th grade. We did a 1 point perspective worksheet first. 
The use of soft pastel on colored construction paper is no fail.
I love setting the kids up with a project that is destined to look great. 


Students had to draw a landscape and include crop lines some how.
Tracing in sharpie before applying the pastel was optional. 

These were a few of the examples I showed the kids. If you'd like my entire slide show leave your email in the comments and I'll happily send it along to you.




There are so many great Van Gogh examples, you could easily tie it in with a Van Gogh lesson. 

Some more great finished products:











16 comments:

  1. Great project! The results the kids got are stunning! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! A couple of these remind me of the art of David Hockney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you send me your slideshow of examples please... thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helpful Hector- I'm so sorry for the delay! Please give me your email address and I'll be happy to send you the folder of images. -Rachel

      Delete
  4. I love these! A wonderful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW these look amazing! Could you please send me your slideshow. I would love to try this with my class. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a copy of the slide show! I taught elementary art for twelve years, but I'm starting a middle school art position in one week! I have always tried to include some art history in my artworks even in elementary. I've been finding lots of great projects online, but I've been having trouble tying them to art history lessons. This one would be great! Like you said, one could go with van Gogh, or I think David Hockney would be good, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to post my email. Aubrey.1976@yahoo.com
      Thinking about trying this lesson with six grade next week.

      Delete
  7. I think this is a great and easy way to introduce perspective. A lot of my students claim it's just too hard. This looks simple, yet eye catching. I'd love a copy of your slide show. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like a copy of you're slideshow please. Great lesson, the kids did a beautiful job. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachel,
    I would very much like your slideshow. Thank you! Hope my aol email works - bccogs@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES please! I have a new job and NO ART up! These would be great as a first lesson! I have to teach landscapes! My email address is lauracapes@yahoo.co.uk. Great blog BTW. and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful. Could you send me your slides. I like to inspire my students with visuals. Are you using chalk or oil pastels? csaraniero@susd.org

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous work! I would love the slideshow as well. My email is cdresang@uges.k12.wi.us

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete