Thursday, February 6, 2014

Figure drawing & magazine page color collage


This was one of my first lessons of the year. I didn't know this group of 6th graders so it provided a strong opportunity for any ability and type of learner. 
The students began by doing figure drawing exercises and drawing one another in poses. 
We also did a class project cutting out colors from magazine and working as a class to create these cool color wheels. I did this with all of my class at the beginning of the year. 



Students chose a pose to draw the silhouette of. 
Then they filled in the silhouettes with a color palette/strategy of their choosing based on the color wheel making experience. 




I really wanted to take advantage of getting a fresh start at my new school and with new students. 
So this year I have been having the kids do their own grading sheets at the end of each project.
That way they are able to see all of the objectives they met and how much they just accomplished and learned through the lesson.
Now they are in the practice of learning how to write artist statements and reflect on their art-making process. It has also positively affected peer constructive criticism and classroom discussions with everyone participating willingly. I'm including the pdf in case you are interested. This process of assessment has been working out very well. Now that my sixth graders have done 4 of these grading sheets and writings with specific prompts they can are able to actually formulate thoughtful and more complete artist statements all on their own without prompts this specific.


2 comments:

  1. Love this one! Think I'll use it in my 7the grade I was looking for a good collage project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete