Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Autumn tree collages




First graders did texture rubbing with black chunk crayons on cut up craft paper. 
Then we made trees (a la the strategy I have used for other projects see here and here).
I like using this strategy with kinder and first grade because it really makes a difference when they go to draw trees and they feel comfortable adding on branches rather than resorting to "lollipop trees".

Going on, 
The next class we took a look at Amate Barkcloth Painting. 
The kids drew birds, nest, and brightly colored eggs using colored pencil on scraps of craft paper, cut them out and glued them on to the trees. 
*They are a little hard to spot on the pictures, I"ll take a few details more tomorrow. 


*The color came out kind of funky on a few of these photos for some reason, I apologize.


 Lastly, using long cotton swabs (one of my favorite items ever!, especially for plates of elmers glue)
we dotted on yellow, orange, and red tempera for the leaves. 


They have been added to my autumn leaf color wheel bulletin board. 

 This idea was actually my principal's! I took it and ran with it and it is really cool!
Kids can bring in leaves and pin them up.



No comments:

Post a Comment