Monday, February 7, 2011

Brice Marden Experiments with Organic Lines

I was working at the Danforth Museum this past weekend conducting a family drop in program.
My lesson connected to a collection of Brice Marden's prints on exhibit.


The lesson is simple but worked out really well for all ages.
I cut 18x24 drawing paper to 9x24 for a more unusual size that lent itself to long lines.




-Step one was to draw organic/squiggly/wiggly/curvy lines using black and grey materials that I had separated out-- washable markers, sharpies, crayons, pencils, colored pencils, oil pastels.
-Step two was to go to the painting station and add color if desired- I put out watercolors with brushes, sponges, and straws for blowing. 





The lesson was an exploratory one that allowed artists to test out how materials worked together such as watercolor on washable marker, watercolor on pencil, etc.
It got great reviews from the visiting families so I thought I would pass it on!

3 comments:

  1. Great! What a great idea to experiment with different materials in combination with learning about an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many pupils who don't get great results will get good results here.

    Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project to practice drawing a variety of lines.

    ReplyDelete